Known as gingers cousin, turmeric has been a popular spice used for cooking in the Middle East, India and China for years. This unassuming hue of yellow is a powerhouse when it comes to healing and enhancing beauty. Turmeric has iron, manganese, potassium, vitamin B6, and iron. The spice originates from the root of the Curcuma longa plant. There are so many benefits that turmeric offers. Most known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is also known to lower the risk in prostate cancer, assist with depression, help the female reproductive system, and aid in weight loss.
Health benefits of turmeric.
1. Turmeric is known to improve liver function
2. Studies have shown that turmeric may treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
3. Maintains blood sugar levels.
4. Turmeric helps supports the immune system.
Beauty benefits of turmeric.
1. Mixing olive oil and turmeric is known to help reduce dandruff.
2. A mixture of milk and turmeric is known to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Turmeric can help reduce stretch marks.
4. Turmeric can help reduce acne.
If you would like to incorporate turmeric, you can drink the tea or add it to some healthy dishes.
1. Add a pinch to your salad dressing.
2. Add some turmeric to your soup.
3. Add the spice to your onions for flavor.
4. Enjoy the tea.
Turmeric Tea Recipe. You can also purchase the tea.
This recipe is from Yogi Bhajan
•2 tbsp turmeric
•1/4 cup water
•1 cup milk or soy milk
•1 tsp almond oil
•honey, to taste
Stir together the turmeric and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring, until a thick paste is formed. Use 1/2 to 1 tsp of this turmeric paste for each cup of Golden Milk tea. Add turmeric paste, milk, almond oil and honey to saucepan and reduce heat to low. Bring milk just to a boil then remove from heat. Whisk briskly or blend if you prefer a frothier drink.