Cauliflower is a wonderful substitute for those who are carb lovers. You can make mock mashed potatoes, pizza with cauliflower crust and even bread sticks, just to name a few. The cool thing about this veggie is the fact that it is packed with a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Check out some of the many health benefits of cauliflower.
1. Abundance of Antioxidants – With a healthy dose of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and phytonutrients cauliflower will help fight against free radicals and aid in the reduction of disease.
2. Heart help– Cauliflower is known to help heart health. The Sulforaphane in cauliflower improves blood pressure and kidney function.
3. Weight release – With one serving only 25 calories, this vegetable is full of vitamins and minerals. With its healthy dose of fiber, cauliflower helps you feel full faster while keeping your digestive tract regular. It also detoxes the blood and liver
4. Vitamins and minerals – Cauliflower is loaded with vitamins and minerals. This veggie has a good source of vitamin C, K, and a collection of B vitamins. The minerals include niacin, magnesium, folate, potassium, protein, folic acid, and fiber just to name a few.
5. Reduces inflammation– With its Omega-3 properties and vitamin K, cauliflower is known to decrease arthritis and diabetes.
Ready to try out a few recipes? Here’s a delicious one to get you started.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Add sea salt and spices, to taste
Cook Cauliflower until tender. Drain the water. Put the cauliflower into a food processor until smooth Add season and enjoy!
Photo Credit: SimplyScratch