Our world, at times, is spinning so quickly with deadlines, responsibilities, and taking care of everything else we forget about one important detail? Ourselves. Sometimes we get so caught up that we don’t take time out. Some may argue and think that the regular routine responsibilities of hygiene is enough for self-care, sorry to tell you but it isn’t. It is necessary to love, honor, and take care of yourself.
In order for sustainable balance we must find the time to really embrace and create a habit of self-care. What exactly does this mean? It is something that will help you mentally, physically, and spiritually so you can function with purpose, clarity, and feel good in your world.
If you are wondering how to get started, don’t worry. If you are starting to feel guilty for even thinking of taking some time for you, please stop! If you don’t honor and take care of yourself, don’t expect anyone else to do it. We set the standard on how we are treated by how treat ourselves. You teach people how to treat you. We take care of those we love, please start by taking care of you.
Here are 10 ways to take care of yourself.
1. Know you deserve it – You have one body and one life.
2. Start now – If you don’t know what to do, stop and write down things you enjoy, write down some things that you always wanted to do and try them.
3. Alone time –This is important for restoration and aligning our thoughts. Spend this time in prayer, meditation, and/or journaling.
4. Enjoy yourself – Do things that will make you smile, laugh, play and have some fun. Memory is connected to emotion.
5. Move – Exercise and movement is helpful for the mind, body, and soul. What ever gets you lifted and motivated to move do it.
6. Cultivate healthy relationships – You attract what you are. Be who you want to attract.
7. Shift your space – Sit in a place where you spend most of your time. Take your phone and/or tablet and look at the screen to take a picture, something about it is very telling. Create a sacred space for yourself that feels like a retreat.
8. Create a gratitude list – It shifts a lot of things.
9. Submerge in some sound – Music is uplifting and will help your soul.
10. Pamper yourself – Whether it’s a day at the spa, a makeover, a DIY beauty day at home. Learn to pamper and embrace your natural beauty.
Look at your calendar and pencil yourself in. Enjoy!
What do you do to practice self-care?